Returning After Deployment
Thank you for your service & welcome home!
At the University of Michigan we understand that deployments can be hard for you and your family. We are here to support you as you transition back into the university and back to your life at home. We will endeavor to make our part of it as smooth as possible.
If you are called to Active Duty status while enrolled at the University and you are returning you will need to give immediate attention to a number of academic, financial and other concerns.
- Please contact your Academic Advisor as soon as you receive your orders to return from deployment – they will be able to develop an action plan with you regarding your coursework and re-enrollment.
All decisions will depend upon your school or college, academic instructors and your dates of deployment. Please discuss with your academic advisor what option is available and may be right for you.
- If you received an incomplete for all classes - You and Instructors will have to agree when all remaining coursework will be completed.
Upon your return, in addition to your academic advisors, please contact the following:
- Contact Phil Larson in the Student Veterans Assistance Program. (734)764-6413
- Contact Michelle Henderson in the Office of the Registrar if you will be collecting VA educational benefits. Michelle is the certifying official for the University. (734)763-9066
- Contact Louis Krause in the Office of Financial Aid to talk about possible financial assistance in addition to the VA educational benefits. (734)
- Deployment can cause stress for you and your family, especially if you were in an active combat role.. We strongly encourage you to set up an appointment with Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) or a similar counseling center where you can discuss your situation and come up with strategies to make your transition as smooth as possible for both you and your family. (734) 764-8312
- Contact the "Buddy to Buddy" program to see about talking with another combat veteran who has "been there" about ways you can make your transition back into civilain life a little easier.
Remember: You are not alone!
Point of Contact
The Office of New Student Programs
1100 LSA Building
500 South State Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48109