Post 9/11 GI Bill - Chapter 33
- Certified for less than 100%
Are you certified for less than 100% of Chapter 33 benefits? Concerned about what your portion of tuition and fees may be? Here’s how to determine your portion of tuition and fees:
- Multiply each credit hour you’re enrolled by $990.00. (This is the maximum per-credit allowance for Michigan colleges and universities.) As an example, 14 Credit Hours X $990.00 = $13,860.
- Multiply that number by your percentage in decimals (70%=0.70) Example $13,860 X 0.70 = $9,702
- Compare your actual UM tuition charge – not including fees or other charges – to the maximum amount in #2. (If enrolled in classes for fall term, go to wolverineaccess.umich.edu > Student Business > Finances > Account Inquiry to see your actual tuition charge.)
- The VA will pay the SMALLER of the results in #2 or your actual tuition charge. If the VA payment will not cover your tuition (i.e. your tuition is higher than the number you calculated in #2) you will be responsible for making up the difference.
- For any mandatory lab fees using $9,792.20 as your cap for fees, multiply this number by your eligibility. (i.e. $9,792.20 X 0.70 = $6,854.54)
- If your fees are lower than this number (for most it will be) then the VA will pay all mandatory fees (excluding tuition).
The VA has an online estimator to calculate your benefits if you are less than 100% You can find it here.
The VA also has a tableof options that may be of use in selecting your options. It can be found here.
Point of Contact
Office of the Registrar
1207 LSA Building