Do I Need to Take A Language Placement Exam?
During orientation we will offer exams in the following languages: Chinese, French, German, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Latin, and Russian.
Who needs to take a language placement exam?
Anyone in the following schools/colleges must take the exam, if you have any previous experience with these languages, regardless of previous credit received:
* College of Literature, Science and the Arts (LSA)
* Residential College in LSA
* Honors Program in LSA
* School of Art & Design
* School of Music, Theatre and Dance -- only the sections noted below
-- Voice Performance
-- Musical theatre
-- Theatre Performance (Acting)
* School of Education -- noted below
-- Those who will be continuing their studies in a world language
-- Those who are seeking teacher certification for a world language
Students in the following schools/colleges are strongly encouraged, but not required, to take these exams if you have any previous experience with these languages.
* Comprehensive Studies Program in LSA
* School of Music, Theatre and Dance -- in programs not mentioned above
* School of Education -- in programs not mentioned above
Students in the following schools/colleges are exempt from taking the language placement exams; however, you can receive academic credit if you score well on them.
* College of Engineering
Students in the following schools/colleges are exempt from taking the language placement exams.