Going to college is an exciting and busy time for new students. Often though, there is so much information coming from your new school it can be overwhelming. The Office of New Student Programs has created this checklist for transfer students to help remind you of important things to accomplish before classes begin. Items below in BOLD are required; all others are recommended.


To Do

When Available

To Be Completed

New Student Orientation

New Student Orientation is required. Sign up online for Orientation using Wolverine Access. (Under the Students heading, select Undergraduate Orientation. You will need to sign in with your uniqname and password.)


As Soon as Possible

U-M Email Account

You should check your U-M Email Account frequently for important messages, including information from the Office of Financial Aid and University Housing, among others. Access your U-M Email Account.



U-M Identification Card (Mcard)

Submit your favorite photo for your Mcard online. Your Mcard will be waiting for you at orientation.



December 2 if attending December transfer orientation; December 16 if attending January transfer orientation

Wolverine Access Tutorial

Practice using the U-M student database and registration system. Go to the Wolverine Access Tutorial


Before your Orientation Date

Language Placement Exam

Determine whether or not you need to take a language placement exam at orientation. Click here for details.


Before Your Orientation Date

Online Math Placement Test

School of Education mathematics students and those entering any Performing Arts Technology Programs (PAT) in the School of Music, Theatre & Dance are required to take this test. All other transfer students are encouraged to take the math placement exam if there is ANY possibility that you will ever take a U-M math course. Visit the following link and enter your uniqname and password to access the test: http://prep.math.lsa.umich.edu/placement/

November 15

No Later than 3 Business Days Before Your Orientation Date

Directed Self-Placement Essay and Questions

Transfer students in Art & Design, LS&A (except Honors), and the School of Music, Theatre, & Dance must complete the Transfer Student Directed Self-Placement Essay before coming to orientation. Go to https://www.lsa.umich.edu/sweetlanddsp/transfer

November 1

No Later than 5 Business Days Before Your Orientation Date

LSA Surveys

Students entering the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts (LSA) need to complete the Academic Integrity Quiz and the Academic Planning and Interest Survey


Before your orientation date

Arrange for Housing

Visit U-M Housing website for more information about on and off- housing.


Before the Start of the Winter Term

Emergency Contact Information

Enter your emergency contact information and sign up to receive U-M emergency alerts using the Student Business section of Wolverine Access.


As Soon as Possible

UHS Immunization and Insurance

Fill out and return the University Health Service (UHS) Immunization Form preferably to arrive at least 30 days before your classes begin. If you are less than 18 years old, have your parent or guardian complete and return the Consent to Treatment of a Minor Form (PDF).

Information Available Now

January 6

UHS Tuberculosis Screening

Certain entering international students must be screen for tuberculosis (TB). See Tuberculosis Screening Requirements for details.

Information Available Now

See Tuberculosis Screening Requirements for details

Bring Copies of Your Documents

All international students holding F-1 or J-1 visas bring the original and a photocopy of the following documents: (1) Your passport (picture page and current visa page), (2) I-94 Card (small white card in passport) back and front, (3) I-20 or DS-2019 to orientation.

Upon your arrival

Bring to your orientation session

Protect Your Tuition with U-M Tuition Refund Insurance

FOR PARENTS: Purchase the U-M Tuition Refund Insurance plan (optional insurance). This very low cost plan (about the same as a text book each semester) could save thousands of dollars if your student had to drop out of school due to a medical or mental health emergency. http://www.uhs.umich.edu/tri


Purchase by

January 10, 2017

for Winter 2017


Student Involvement Profile on Maize Pages

Visit Maize Pages (maizepages.umich.edu) for more information about the 1,400+ student organizations on campus. Log in, complete your profile, and identify your specific interests. You will receive custom organization and event recommendations based on your interests.


January 31

Wolverine Access Parent Authorization

If your parents or other family members are helping you financially, you may want to authorize them to view your student account information in Wolverine Access. Go to Wolverine Access to authorize parent access.



Get Involved!

Visit the Office of Student Activities and Leadership and Maize Pages for information on clubs, organizations, and getting involved on campus.



Job Identification Documents

Interested in getting a job on campus? Be sure to bring identification documents with you to campus in order to verify your eligibility to work.


When you Apply for a Job

Direct Deposit

After you have a local bank account, make sure you fill out your Direct Deposit information in the Student Business section of Wolverine Access. This will help you get any payroll checks from University jobs or any Financial Aid refunds more quickly.


10 Days Before Receiving a Paycheck or Refund

Managing Your Finances

Check out CashCourse at http://www.cashcourse.org/umofa. CashCourse is filled with quizzes, calculators, and tips that will help you manage your finances while you're in school and after you graduate.