Welcome to the University of Michigan!
We look forward to working with you as you start your journey as a Michigan Wolverine. Orientation is required for all new first-year and transfer, degree-seeking students.
Orientation 2022 will be a hybrid experience involving both virtual and in-person components. You will have an opportunity to learn about campus, meet virtually with an academic advisor, and register for your first semester of classes.
After you have been admitted to U-M and paid the $300 enrollment deposit, you will receive an email in early April to begin the Orientation process. You will be sent an email to your U-M email account with the subject, "[FOR YOU] Spring 2022 Orientation Information" when you are eligible to begin completing Orientation. Please do not try to register or complete Orientation until you have received this email.
If you have any questions, contact the Office of New Student Programs at 734-764-6413 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
By participating in Orientation, you will:
- Understand the academic and community expectations of a University of Michigan student.
- Become familiar with resources available to U-M students.
- Develop an academic plan with an advisor from your school or college.
- Meet with an academic advisor and register for your first term of classes.
Please be sure to do the following to prepare for Orientation:
1. Pay the $300 Enrollment Deposit
This deposit guarantees your spot in the Spring Term and triggers many other processes for you to become an enrolled student. If you do not pay the enrollment deposit, or do not have it waived by the University, you will not be able to complete orientation and register for classes.
2. Create your Uniqname
Your uniqname is your official University of Michigan computing account and email address. Once the University receives your Enrollment Deposit, it takes about 2 days before you will be able to set up your uniqname, and it may take another 24-48 hours for your uniqname to officially become active. Your uniqname is also your new email address. For example, if your uniqname is newstudent, your new university email address is "email@example.com". Please check your emails regularly to this account as all university communications will be directed to it. Information about Orientation will be sent to this email in early April.
3. Complete Orientation
Complete Orientation (when available to do so, starting in early April)
Click on the different sections under "Spring Admits" on the left to learn more about Spring Orientation.
- Under Orientation Overview, you will find a broad overview of Orientation.
- Under How to Register, you will find step-by-step instructions for how to register for a Virtual Academic Advising Date, a required part of Orientation.
- Under 5 Steps of Orientation, you will find detailed information about the steps of Orientation and how to complete them.
You must have a uniqname and have received the "[FOR YOU] Spring 2022 Orientation Information" email (sent in early April) before you can complete Orientation.