Wolverine Online Orientation provides students with a smooth transition to the University of Michigan and will introduce you to the University community and the opportunities available to you. You cannot register for classes until you complete all 5 steps of Wolverine Online Orientation.
Information about Wolverine Online Orientation will be sent to your UMICH email account beginning in May, if you have paid your enrollment deposit or had it waived. Please read the overview of Summer First-Year Orientation, to make sure you complete the few tasks necessary to begin the Wolverine Online Orientation process in May.
Click on the tabs below to learn an overview about Wolverine Online Orientation and how to start preparing.
Five Steps of Wolverine Online Orientation
Wolverine Online Orientation (WOO) consists of 5 steps. All 5 steps need to be completed in order to register for classes. Some steps of WOO are asynchronous, meaning you will complete them on your own remotely, at your own pace. Other steps of WOO are synchronous, meaning you will need to be prepared to virtually participate at a set time and work directly with Academic Advising Staff and ONSP Orientation Staff. Each step of Wolverine Online Orientation may take several hours to complete so be sure to plan accordingly.
You will be sent in depth information about the 5 steps in your U-M: Wolverine Online Orientation Information email sent to your UMICH email in May. You can also read more about the five steps under the 5 Steps of Online Orientation section of the website.
Wolverine Online Orientation consists of five steps:
- Register for your 2- Day Synchronous Orientation Experience in Wolverine Access (NOTE: REGISTRATION IS NOT YET OPEN)
- Complete the Wolverine First-Year transition Course in Canvas
- Complete online placement exams (if required by your Academic Unit)
- Complete your Academic Unit’s pre-advising activities
- Online participation in your 2-Day Synchronous Orientation Experience
Course registration will occur during step 5, when you are participating in your 2-Day Synchronous Orientation Experience. Failure to complete steps 1 – 4 prior to your session will result in a delay in class registration and may require you to reschedule to a later date.
If you have questions, concerns, or have trouble completing any of the steps above, please contact our staff at firstname.lastname@example.org or 734-764-6413.
Student Expectations for Wolverine Online Orientation
- We expect students to make their own reservations for their 2-Day Synchronous Orientation Experience. Students are responsible for sharing details of their session with their parents and family members if desired.
- It is expected that only the student is present for both days of the 2-Day Synchronous Orientation Experience. It is our goal for students to build a relationship with their advisors and other incoming students, as well as learn the necessary skills to register on their own in future terms. Any parents and family members participating in the virtual meetings will be asked to leave, and students will not be permitted to continue the advising and registration process until parents/family members are not present. Parents and Family members are encouraged to participate in the Parent and Family Member Orientation offerings.
- We expect students to complete all 5 steps of Wolverine Online Orientation. All components of the Wolverine Online Orientation are required and are specifically designed to assist students with their academic and social transition to the University. Students may be required to reschedule to a later session if they have not completed all steps of Wolverine Online Orientation and are unprepared to register for classes.
- We expect students to not have conflicts with their scheduled 2-Day Synchronous Orientation Experience. Any conflicts or failure to participate in the required activities on both days will result in the student being rescheduled for a later session. Students should try to be in a location that allows them to fully engage in the virtual activities, as much as possible. Students who anticipate any challenges with completing any of the 5 Steps of Wolverine Online Orientation should email email@example.com from their UMICH email so that alternate arrangements can be made.
2-Day Synchronous Orientation Experience
Your 2-Day Synchronous Orientation Experience is the synchronous step of your Wolverine Online Orientation. You will register for 2 back-to-back days of activities that will be spent virtually in both Office of New Student Programs (ONSP) activities and Academic Advising activities. Full participation in both days is REQUIRED.
For example, if you register for a July 19 – July 20 session, you must participate in all activities on both July 19 and July 20 to be eligible to register for classes. Failure to attend the first or second day will result in rescheduling for a new 2-Day session. Registration is REQUIRED to participate in a 2-Day Synchronous Orientation Experience session. Please refer to the How to Register page to complete Step 1 of Wolverine Online Orientation. REGISTRATION IS NOT YET OPEN. Students are emailed in May when registration begins.
Your 2-Day Synchronous Orientation Experience will consist of:
Day 1 - University Welcome & Student Transition
- Including a University welcome, Orientation Leader introduction and the opportunity to meet other new incoming students
- The Office of New Student programs will email students about 1 week prior to their scheduled Day 1 session to send a zoom link and confirm timing of activities
Day 2 - Advising & Academic Transition
- Including Academic Advising, Advising Activities as planned by your Academic Unit, and class registration
- Academic Units will email students directly within 1 week prior to their scheduled Day 2 session to provide advising activity information, timing, and how to participate in the session
The dates available to you are set based on your Academic Unit’s availability and capacity. Some Academic Units have different dates available and different capacities of how many students they can see. The registration system will show you all the available dates that still have available session space. It is expected that you select a 2-Day session that you are able to participate virtually on, without other conflicts. Most advising activities will occur between 8 am – 6 pm Eastern Time on both days. During registration, you will have the option to indicate if you will be in a different time zone on the date you register for. If you are unable to participate fully on both Day 1 and Day 2, you will be asked to reschedule to a later session.
If you are unavailable on all the date options you see available that occur between mid-June and early August, you will need to email firstname.lastname@example.org with documentation of your conflict and may be required to participate in the Final session in late August. You should make an effort to be available on one of the dates offered in order to prevent delaying completion of Wolverine Online Orientation and class registration.
Wolverine Online Orientation Fee
The Wolverine Online Orientation fee for 2021 is $98.00. The fee is billed directly to your student account in the Summer. Do not send this fee in advance. Once you complete online orientation, you are responsible for the entire fee whether or not you complete the program and enroll at the University of Michigan. This fee supports The Office of New Student Programs, including the content created for Wolverine Online Orientation, supporting our student staff, and supporting other programming offered by our office.
To request a fee waiver, email email@example.com from your UMICH email and we will work with Financial Aid to determine approval.
University Tech Tools and Resources
The University of Michigan has many online tools available to use by students. Read below for an introduction to these tools and how to access your accounts. Many of these will be used for Wolverine Online Orientation, so getting familiar with how to use as soon as possible is important! Then, be sure to read the information on this website along with the information in your invite and confirmation emails!
Wolverine Online Orientation uses a learning management system called Canvas. You will also use this system for many of your classes when you get to campus. Wolverine Online Orientation is a good way to get comfortable with Canvas before you begin classes. Once you have your Uniqname and password set up, you can access Canvas. If you have any technology-related issues with Canvas, contact U-M’s Technology and Information Services for help! There are also many additional resources on how to use Canvas:
Using Canvas on Mobile Device (not recommended for completing Wolverine Transition Course or Online Placement Exams)
Remote Advising Resources
Getting familiar with the different remote University of Michigan tools will help you be prepared for your academic advising activities and other virtual opportunities offered! Zoom, Bluejeans, Google Hangouts/Meet and Remote Office Hours are a few of the virtual tools your school or college may utilize for remote advising. Familiarize yourself with these tools and set up accounts in advance:
ONSP will be hosting the Day 1: University Welcome & Student Transition session using Zoom. You must use your official UMICH Zoom account to be able to log in to the link our office will provide after registration. In addition, your Academic Unit may also use Zoom for your Day 2: Advising & Academic Transition session and will also require you to log in with your official UMICH account.
Become Familiar with the UM Google Suite:
Some Academic Units may use Google Hangout, so it is recommend you become familiar with this resource as well!
During registration for your 2-Day Synchronous Orientation Experience you will be able to enter any accessibility needs you might have. ONSP will have live transcriptions on the zoom sessions and recommends reviewing the Accessibility Features of Canvas. In addition, you can email our office at firstname.lastname@example.org with any concerns you have with completing Wolverine Online Orientation. Please contact us as soon as possible if you have concerns about accessing internet or using a device to complete Wolverine Online Orientation.
It is important that students with disabilities register with the Office of Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD) as soon as possible to discuss your school year needs as well.
We recognize the challenges of participating in an online orientation program and we are here to help!
Students Admitted to the CSP/Bridge Summer Scholars Programs, LSA Honors Summer Start, or Camp Davis
Students admitted to the Summer term as CSP Summer or Summer Bridge Scholars will receive academic advising from the Comprehensive Studies Program (CSP). Due to the unprecedented events related to the COVID-19 pandemic, CSP is combining the coursework and programming for the CSP Summer and Summer Bridge Scholars programs.
Admission into LSA Honors Summer Start Program
If you are an incoming student admitted for the Fall term who is a confirmed participant in the Honors Summer Start Program, your matriculation (admission) term must first be changed from Fall term to Summer term by the Admissions Office. This will happen after May 1.
You will be sent an email to complete Wolverine Online Orientation and register for an Academic Advising Date to be completed remotely with Honors. Questions about the Honors Summer Start may be directed to the Honors Program office at email@example.com or 734-764-6274.
If you are an incoming student admitted for the Fall term who has been accepted into Camp Davis, your matriculation (admission) term will be changed from Fall term to Summer term by the Registrar’s Office. The Department of Earth & Environmental Sciences will then register you for summer term courses. You are still required to complete Wolverine Online Orientation and you will be invited to register for a 2-Day Synchronous Orientation Experience to complete registration for Fall term classes.
Support and Contact Information
Our orientation staff is readily available to assist you with Wolverine Online Orientation and/or questions about the University. Feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (734)-764-6413.