Transfer Mentor is a paid position for Fall-Winter terms. The position begins in September with training dates during the previous winter and spring. Mentors work approximately 8-10 hours/week. Only undergraduate students with previous experience as a transfer student at the University of Michigan will be considered. Applications are accepted annually beginning in December. Our mentors are hired internally (from among current/recent Transfer Connections Mentees). We will launch a search for 2017 Mentors in December 2016.
Apply to Be a Transfer Mentor
For 2017, Transfer Connections is conducting an internal search by invitation only. We will resume our normal search process for 2018. Please check back for future applications.
Benefits & Incentives
This paid position within the Office of New Student Programs offers a great undergraduate employment opportunity. As a Transfer Mentor, you will:
- Facilitate groups of mentees to offer assistance, support, and advice.
- Use your creative talents and draw from your own interest and experiences to plan Transfer Connections events and create our newsletters.
- Develop event planning, team building, leadership, public speaking, and interpersonal skills.
- Represent Transfer Connections at campus events.
- Be eligible to work as a 2017 summer Transfer Connections Mentor, May-August 2017.
- Earn $10.00/hour and work approximately 8-10 hours/week throughout Fall and Winter terms.
Open application—apply online
Transfer Mentor Applications Due to Transfer Connections Office by 5pm.
Interview Notifications sent out
Final status emailed to finalists.
The training is essential for the success of mentors and allows you to meet the other mentors in your core and participate in workshops to prepare you for your experience as a mentor. Lunch provided.
By mid-August, Mentors will be informed of their Faculty and Staff mentor and mentees in their groups. Once this is received, mentors should contact their mentees and, if possible, plan to meet prior to the Kickoff event in September.